Sunday, July 17, 2011

Nubiru bearing down?

Photo by D. Grant Haynes

Okay. It's uncharacteristic of me. I never do anything wild and crazy. I am staid and boring. I know. But last night's photo of the July moon as it entered the first evening of the "waning gibbous" stage, was so much like several other moon images I have done recently that I decided to go into Photoshop on my old Macintosh and play some. I came up with this decidedly other worldly result. For those of you unfamiliar with the "Nubiru" reference, some who anticipate an apocalyptic or doomsday event in 2012 speculate that a tenth or "rogue" planet of the solar system will collide with or come very close to the earth in December 2012, causing a Christian Tim LaHaye-like Armageddon. Personally, I expect the sun to rise and the factories to growl into life to continue to pollute our little planet on January 1, 2013. I have heard too many "end of the world" scenarios in my time to believe another one now.

(Photoshop technique note: This image was created by utilizing a gradient tool set at 100 percent. Gradient colors were red (from upper left) to yellow (at lower right). After a diagonal application of the color gradient, a "water color" filter was applied. Adobe Photoshop is fun and unlimited in terms of special effects. Never let anyone tell you built-in photo manipulation tools from Microsoft Corporation will do as much. They are for amateurs. -- DGH)